Wednesday, February 9, 2011

If It Was Easy, Everybody Would Do It

Several years ago there was a commercial, I don't remember what for, where the product would somehow free you up to do those things you always wanted to do, like take a trip to France or write a novel. Yeah, because writing a novel is just like a vacation. I hated that commercial.

Or to badly misquote someone somewhere that I can't be bothered to track down: Having written is great, it's the writing that's hard. 

Somewhat in that vein (the vein of not-writers thinking about how thrilling and/or easy it is not only to write, but to write something decent) there's a new documentary called Bad Writing.

1 comment:

  1. OH GOD. You've put your finger on one of my biggest pet peeves. Nobody thinks they can just suddenly decide to paint a great masterpiece without years of practice and study. Why does everyone think they can just sit down and write The Great American Novel? If they even USE that term they've just betrayed they don't know what they're doing. I'm being hyperbolic, but not by much.

    I will now fall on the floor and thrash and buck in a pool of my own corrosive bile. I will awake refreshed and deeply cattharcisized, which is the hot new exercise video coming out from Freud Studios.

    ReplyDelete