Friday, March 18, 2011

Farewell, Michael Gough






It is with great sadness that I note the passing of one my favorite British character actors of all time, the illustrious Michael Gough. In a career spanning his film debut in 1948 to his final voice role in Tim Burton's 2010 version of Alice in Wonderland, Gough made an indelible impact.  He was featured in Doctor Who, The Avengers, many Hammer films, as Alfred Pennyworth in the Tim Burton's Batman films, plus other roles both great and small that are too numerous to mention here.  You can check out the list here.  One of my favorite little easter eggs is his uncredited appearance as the corpse of the evil Emeric Belasco in 1964's The Legend of Hell House.

When I was a kid, he was right up there in the pantheon with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing and Vincent Price. I will remember him fondly.

No comments:

Post a Comment